Soggy Grape Nuts
Tuesday, January 04, 2005
Reclaim your Glove Box!
As I slowly reached over to grab my cold gloves sitting on the passenger seat I thought to myself how nice it would be to have a place to keep them while they weren't in use. Then I realized: such a place has been created...it's call the glove box. Now, I don't know why we actually still refer to this useless storage compartment as a glove box--it's not as though anybody actually keeps their gloves in it. It seems to me that the only things that people consistently keep in their glove box is their owner's manual for the car (and when was the last time you looked at that?) and their regisistration--to keep at a handy distance just in case they get pulled over by officer friendly.
Fight against the complacency that keeps your glove box useless! Start using your glove box! Take out the damn owner's manual, put it in the trunk or under the seat or somewhere that you never look, and replace it with something you may actually want in your car.
There are a few things to remember when deciding what kind of items you want in your car:
1) Cars can get hot; heat melts chocolate, and even hard candies.
2) Cars can get cold; cold can freeze liquid things and even make containers burst (the blue stain of windex in my trunk reminds me that everytime I open it--which is actually quite a bit; I'll have to write an entry about that sometime); make sure you store items that will make your life more convenient and can survive the extremes that a car will put them through.
3) Not all glove compartments are created equal
4) Consider modifications
5) Your glove box is not as convenient as your middle console (which is why that's the spot for cd's) -- consider storing items that you use frequently when you're stopped.
Here's a short list of items that you may want to consider:
-Armor All wipes--clean your car while you're waiting in the drive-thru line at lunch.
-Window cleaner
-Condoms--hey, you never know...
-Flashlight
-Hand Towel, paper towels, tissues...you get the point
-Oh hey! Here's one: Gloves!
Conceived Dec 27, 2004 ~11 am
Comments:
Post a Comment
